Spend with Security
EMV Chip Cards provide an additional layer of security to your PFCU Debit Card
and Credit Card
. With an embedded, encrypted microchip containing dynamic, card-specific data, EMV Chip Cards make counterfeiting extremely challenging.
FAQ’s About Chip Cards
- What is a Chip Card? Chip Cards come with an encrypted microchip embedded in the card. The microchip provides an enhanced layer of security to transactions.
- Why is my card being upgraded to a Chip Card? Chip technology is already used in other countries and now is coming to the U.S. Chip Cards provide an extra level of security and is easier to use at places already using chip technology.
- How is the Chip Card more secure? The embedded microchip provides unique data specific to your card and the transaction being processed. These security features make Chip Cards extremely difficult to counterfeit.
- What happens when you make a transaction? If the merchant is EMV Chip Card compatible, you will insert your card into the point-of-sale terminal and follow the instructions on the terminal. It’s important that you leave your card in the terminal until the transaction is complete, otherwise the transaction will not be processed. When your transaction is complete, be sure to remove your card.
- Can I use my Chip Card for everyday transactions or at non-chip terminals? Yes! Chip Cards will also have the usual magnetic stripe on the back so you can continue using your card at ATMs and point of sale terminals while merchants in the U.S. are transitioning.
For more information about EMV cards contact us or visit one of our convenient PFCU locations.