Breast cancer is a disease in which malignant (cancer) cells form in the tissues of the breast. According to The CDC, breast cancer is the second most common cancer among women in the United States. October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, an annual campaign to increase awareness of the disease. In an effort to promote awareness and show support, PFCU is collecting donations to contribute to the American Cancer Society of Michigan, Making Strides Against Breast Cancer, for the entire month of October. You can donate by purchasing a pink ribbon and hanging it in one of our 12 location lobbies. A minimum donation of $1 is requested for each ribbon purchase.
Breast Cancer Facts:
According to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, INC.:
- 1 in 8 women in the United States will develop breast cancer in her lifetime.
- There are over 3.8 million breast cancer survivors in the United States.
- This year, an estimated 43,600 women will die from breast cancer in the U.S.
According to the World Health Organization:
- Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women worldwide.
- The majority of women diagnosed with breast cancer do not have family history of the disease.
- In 2020, there were 2.3 million women diagnosed with breast cancer and 685,000 deaths globally.
Ways to Fight Against Breast Cancer
According to the American Cancer Society:
- Volunteer your time.
- Take part in research.
- Make your voice heard.
- Participate in Making Strides Against Breast Cancer.
- Take charge of your health.
About American Cancer Society
The American Cancer Society has programs and services to help you manage cancer treatment and recovery and find the emotional support you need. Best of all, their help is free. Find programs and services in Michigan. Road To Recovery gives cancer patients free rides to treatment. They're activists leading the fight for a world without cancer ...every dollar fuels the American Cancer Society's fight against cancer. Kick start your fundraising now to help fund the future of breast cancer research.